To enter the Three Village Historical Society/Gallery North 2021 Gingerbread Historic Build Challenge, entry forms must be received no later than January 29, 2021.
The contest is open to the general public - all ages welcome!
Entries must have been made with the kits provided and everyday household items as additions by the exhibitor.
Guest judges will choose three winners.
All entries will be on display at Gallery North from 2/13 - 2/20.
By submitting your completed Gingerbread House into this contest, you are conveying rights to TVHS and Gallery North to use images for marketing purposes, including but not limited to print and social media.
Houses should be constructed of edible materials, aside from the base.
All entries must be modeled after one of the 7 historic Three Village structures provided below.
Click Below For Photos and Information on each Historic Structure
ALL ENTRIES ON DISPLAY NOW AT
Gallery North Studio from 2/13 - 2/20
90 North Country Road, Setauket
Congratulations to our winners!
Our Judges TVHS Historian Bev Tyler and Jacqueline Clancy of Daniel Gale Sotheby’s International Realty (Stony Brook & Smithtown)
BAYLES-SWEZEY HOUSE, c. 1800
Three Village Historical Society, 93 NORTH COUNTRY ROAD, SETAUKET
Today this c. 1800 farmhouse serves as the history center for the Three Village Historical Society. The two story house belonged to Ebenezer Bayles and later to Stephen Swezey. The original section of the house (right) has a central chimney and gable roof. The house was moved to this location in 1961 from its original site, about 500 yds. to the south, for the construction of a new telephone company building. It was sold for $1 to the Society for the Preservation of Long Island Antiquities who moved it to this property. They restored the structure and used it to display their collections and for office space. The Three Village Historical Society purchased the property in 1998 as their headquarters. Today it houses offices, exhibits, collections, and a gift shop.
GALLERY NORTH, 90 NORTH COUNTRY ROAD, SETAUKET
In 2015 Gallery North expanded it’s campus and opened The Studio a collaborative, 1500-square foot, open studio space for all members of the community to enjoy. The building is located on what was the old Route 25A, once a busy commercial district. Before the section of 25A was built between Bennetts Road and Ridgway Ave. in the early 1960s motorists traveled the original Rt. 25A which ran along this stretch of No. Country Rd. and Ridgway Ave. The Studio is a repurposed service station. The original part of the station was built ca. 1935 for Tuthill and Young who operated a fuel oil company. They later added gas pumps to service automobiles. Right after WWII Percy Macauley operated a service station here until about 1970. Dave Harris, mechanic, was the last operator of the station. It was the home of Long Hill Carpentry until being acquired by Gallery North and converted into this space for creativity.
FRANK MELVILLE MEMORIAL PARK, SETAUKET
This simulated mill, designed by architect Richard Haviland Smythe, never ground wheat but is a reminder of the bustling activity which attended the several grist mills which operated in this vicinity beginning in 1664. The last working mill operated here until about 1935. In 1936, the last miller Everett Hawkins and his wife Celia turned this property over to the Melville family for a park. The old mill was demolished. The park, built in memory of Frank Melville, Jr., was dedicated in 1937. The mill serves as the park’s headquarters and a reminder of the past. Frank Melville Memorial Park was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 2010.
SETAUKET POST OFFICE, 1941
FRANK MELVILLE MEMORIAL PARK, 101 MAIN STREET, SETAUKET
This building was built in 1941, at the entrance to the Frank Melville Memorial Park, to serve the community as a post office. The architect was Richard Haviland Smythe who designed and oversaw the restoration of many structures in the Three Village area for Ward Melville. The Greek Revival portico is supported by cornstalk columns based on those designed by architect Benjamin Latrobe (1764-1820) in 1809 for the old Supreme Court Chamber in Washington D.C. Latrobe developed the American Greek Revival style of architecture. He was one of the first professionally trained architects in the U.S. and his work includes many significant structures including the United States Capitol.
JOSEPH BREWSTER HOUSE, c. 1665
WARD MELVILLE HERITAGE ORGANIZATION, Route 25A and Brewster Lane, EAST SETAUKET
Built in 1665 and considered the oldest house in the Town of Brookhaven, the Brewster House was home to six generations of Brewsters. The house has transformed over the centuries from the one-room cottage to its present saltbox structure. During the American Revolution, Joseph Brewster operated the house as a tavern and general store, entertaining British troops inside. American Patriot Caleb Brewster, cousin of the Joseph Brewster and presumably a frequent visitor to the house, was a member of George Washington’s Culper Spy Ring during the Revolutionary War. (wmho.org) This property is on the National Register of Historic Places. The house was restored in 1968 to how it looked in the 1845 painting Long Island Farmhouses by local artist William Sidney Mount (below).
THOMPSON HOUSE, c. 1709
WARD MELVILLE HERITAGE ORGANIZATION, 91 North Country Road, SETAUKET
Built ca. 1709 this was the home of Samuel Thompson farmer, leader of the Presbyterian Church, and town trustee. He resided here with his wife Hannah Brewster (daughter of Nathaniel Brewster the local minister) and seven children. In 1749 the property passed to his son Jonathan who in turn passed it to his son Samuel. Samuel not only made improvements in agricultural techniques of the time, but also practiced medicine. Samuel’s son Benjamin was a doctor, lawyer, and author of History of Long Island (1839). The property remained in the Thompson family for five generations until 1887. In 1943 the property was acquired by Ward Melville and restored during the years 1946-1950. The oldest section of the house (at left) contains the kitchen lean-to in the rear providing the characteristic salt box shape. The one story wing (right) was originally a separate structure of about the same age as the main house. The Thompson House is on the National Register of Historic Places.
GAMECOCK COTTAGE, 1876
TOWN OF BROOKHAVEN & THREE VILLAGE COMMUNITY TRUST, TRUSTEES ROAD, STONY BROOK
Gamecock Cottage is located at the southern tip of West Meadow Beach commonly called Shipman’s Point now the West Meadow Wetlands Reserve. It was built in 1876 by William Shipman as a boat house for the storage of oars and sliding-seat rowboats. It is a 1 1⁄2-story building in the Gothic Revival style with a front-gabled roof and a wooden cupola. It is 20 feet, 5 inches wide and 25 feet, 5 inches long and covered with board and batten siding. The Shipman estate, designed in the same architectural style, was located on Christian Ave. and Cedar St. Gamecock Cottage was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 2007. Owned by the Town of Brookhaven it is now under the stewardship of the Three Village Community Trust.